Monday, March 12, 2012

Dancing With God

Some time ago I read an article titled “5 Lessons From the Dance Floor,” which drew an analogy between ballroom dancing and one’s relationship with God.  I found it inspiring, and since I enjoy ballroom dancing it touched a chord. I copied the five basic ideas down, and since then I’ve carried those in my wallet. Every once in a while I pull them out and review them. Today, I thought I’d explore them anew here. I don’t remember the details, the author, and so on, so I’ll just paraphrase what I remember, and what it means to me now, and hope that it brings blessings to any who read.

Lesson 1: Let Him lead.
On the dance floor, things get ugly if I try to lead. It’s my job to follow, and to be as responsive as possible to all the little signals my partner sends me. Often these are subtle – a light pressure on my back, or the bend of a wrist – but the more in tune I am to pick up on this, the more graceful we are as a couple. I have more fun, and a great sense of teamwork. It’s like that with God, too – when I relax and follow His lead, joy springs alive throughout the day and into the night.

Lesson 2: Trust Him.
Can I successfully follow my partner if I don’t trust him? I need to have faith that he won’t crash me into one of the other couples on the floor, or drop me during a dip. In turn, that faith allows me to respond more fully, experience more richly. I need to trust God, too – and know that He will never drop me, never leave me without the resources to meet every need, every crisis, every eventuality. When I go forth in the morning trusting God, bad things happen less often; and when they do happen, I shift to a place of peace and confidence, even in the midst of pain and chaos.

Lesson 3: Don’t anticipate.
I’ve been guilty of this one a lot – guessing my partner’s intention, for instance going into a spin before I get the signal, before he’s ready. It doesn’t work. I need to wait for his signal, wait for his timing. So it is with God. Things happen best on His time. An example is this blog – it’s been around a long time, and it hasn’t reflected what I wanted to say, because I anticipated; I knew I wanted a political blog, but I didn’t yet know what I wanted its voice to be. I knew I wanted to express my faith, assert my views, hurt no one, and hopefully bring a higher tone to the blogosphere and our national political discourse, but how do I do that? I don’t know it all yet, but this post, the first in a year, feels right.

Lesson 4: Be strong.
Have you ever danced with a wet noodle? When I hold my frame strong, rather than let my arms hang limp, I’m more sensitive to being led. Likewise, when I have confidence in God’s leading and all-power, when I hold strong with Him, good things happen. 

Lesson 5: Lean toward Him.
It’s easy to lean back against your partner, but I find that keeping balance on the balls of my feet enables me to move more gracefully and maintain better balance and responsiveness. This causes me to lean toward my partner. To know God, to love Him, we need to lean toward Him. The more I lean toward Him, the easier I respond to His lead, the more I feel the comfort of His presence.

There you have it. I’m sure I’ve gotten a number of these very different from the original article, but that’s okay – this is what it means to me now. It’s the basic ideas, I think, that are most helpful and important. I hope it makes your day a little brighter.

No comments: